This was my second attempt at making coconut yogurt and I have to say a heck of a lot quicker than my first attempt. The first time I made it I used the stove-top method, a thermometer and a lot of patience. This was by far easier. This recipe came from the “OmniBlend Australia – Essential Recipes” eBook which comes with the OmniBlend when you purchase one or you can buy it separately for $19.95 online HERE.
There are so many delicious, simple and healthy recipes in it you’ll love it.
1 ½ cans coconut cream
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 Tbsp coconut yogurt or acidophilus powder (I use Natren Yogurt Starter available from health food stores)
- Fill a clean thermos with boiling water
- Pour coconut cream, coconut oil and xanthan gum into OmniBlend
- Blend on medium for 3 minutes – the mixture will be heated from the friction of the blades
- Empty water out of the thermos
- Pour coconut mix into thermos then gently stir in acidophilus or yogurt starter
- Store the thermos in your pantry overnight or for 6-8 hours prior to refrigerating, this allows the cultures to ferment
- Store in an airtight glass jar or container in the fridge
You can add your flavours when serving. I topped mine with raspberries. For a delicious chocolate-y treat mix in some raw cacao powder and a tablespoon of rice malt syrup or pure vanilla extract – yum chocolate coconut yogurt!